Various studies revealed that approximately 50% of adults have face embarrassment due to bad breath, on some occasions. Here, we will have a look at some of the common causes of dragon breath and how you can keep it at bay.
Common Causes for Bad Breath
- Bacteria: Several bad breath causing bacteria thrives in your mouth. In fact, the mouth acts like a natural breeding ground allowing the bacteria to grow. These bacteria survive by feeding on residues in your mouth, leaving behind a waste product that causes bad breath.
- Gum Disorder: Constant bad taste in your mouth is a serious warning sign of advanced gum disease. Gum disease is usually caused by a sticky, cavity-causing bacteria called plaque, that results in irreparable damage if ignored.
- Pungent Food: Garlic, onions, coffee, and so on are some of the breath offending foods that can put in an embarrassing situation. When you have an excess of these items, it affects the air you exhale, giving you the dreaded dragon breath.
- Dry Mouth: Feeling parched is an indication that your mouth isn’t producing enough saliva. Saliva plays a crucial role as it works around the clock to clean your mouth. If your mouth doesn’t produce sufficient saliva, it means it isn’t getting cleaned as much as it ideally should be.
As they say, every problem has a solution; you can keep bad breath away by following some simple tips:
- Regular Brushing and Flossing: Almost every dentist will tell you that brushing and flossing is the best way to get rid of bad breath. It is essential to brush twice a day, for at least two minutes. Moreover, use floss to clean between teeth to remove all the bad-breath-causing bacteria and keep your mouth fresh all day long!
- Clean Your Tongue: Most of us forget cleaning the tongue, while we take good care of our teeth. You can stick out your tongue and notice a white or brown coating, it here that most of the bacteria responsible for foul breath can be found. Make sure you clean the tongue regularly using a toothbrush or a tongue scraper.
- Visit the dentist regularly: If you take good care of your teeth, still have bad breath, it is advisable to make an appointment with your dentist. Regular checkups by professional will help in better detection of any problem like gum disease or dry mouth and prevent it before they become a serious problem.